Saturday 4 September 2010

A quiet moment with my panelle.

Back at the beach. It seems that the only place where you can get these panelle (sandwiches with deep fried fillings) is here. Restaurants in Palermo will offer all the good things inside the roll (the eggplant, the croquettes, the fried chick pea thingy which I do not know the name of) but it's the whole package I am after, cant you understand that? It's not too much to ask, is it? I am hooked on these things.
Timmy and I hit Mondello again. Timmy has eaten his double rolled, smoked organic fat free fruiche oat breakfast with high fibre fruit. I am more easily pleased. All I want for breakfast is a deep fried sandwich. I haven't eaten and I am hungry.
So I wait for my chance. Timmy hits the water. I know he will be out there for hours pursuing one of his three loves of life. Timmy's holy trinity; to be rich, to be thin and to be brown.
Now's my chance! But wait, holiday season has ended. All the little deep frying vans have packed up and gone, not to be seen for another Vangaboy summer. Damn! And then I remember (being a Mondello local) that there was one guy in an alley behind the main strip of shops. I can smell the oil as I approach. He is there! I fork over the 1 euro (about $1.50) and I watch as the croquettes and chick pea things (can I please find out what that is called?) sizzle in the hot oil, cooking to a golden crispness. He puts the golden goodies onto a buttered roll. He hands it to me. But that is all I can share with you. You will have to excuse me now, I need a private moment with my panelle. Ciao x

No comments:

Post a Comment