Friday 10 September 2010

i dream in recipes

Last night I had a dream. Timmy and I have been frequenting a local trattoria, a real favourite of ours.
http://www.trattoriaaltritempi.it/index2.htm
It serves what it describes as typical Sicilian food. So typical, in fact, the menu is written in a local dialect. I cannot speak Italian but I can understand basic foodie words. You might recognise that pommodroe means tomato. At this place, the Sicilian for tomato is something else. To my eye, it looks like a fusion of Italian and Transylvanian. Wog vampire speak.
The food is rustic. There is no antipasto section to the menu. Timmy has researched to discover that antipasto was never a traditional part of Sicilian eating. Instead, they offer local dishes; fava beans, fried cauliflower, panelle (chick pea flour fritters). Yum, yum and, yes, yum.
Some people dream in colour, others in black and white. Last night I had a dream in recipes. I was re creating the broad bean dish we had at the local trattoria.
This is how the dream went:
I bought the dried fava beans. I soaked them overnight. I boiled them in water with garlic and bay leaf until they were tender. I seasoned them very well and served them with a sprinkling of dried oregano.




The fritter plate has fried cauliflower (a green variety) and the ubiquitous panelle (chick pea flour fritters).












No comments:

Post a Comment